2. Perspective Change - I've kept my running up these last few weeks, but it has been a real test of discipline and determination since mustering up motivation has been a challenge. The recent wintery weather has really got me down. I can deal with the dark mornings, but I'm not ready for the consistent temps in the low 20's with wind and snow we've been seeing. I revisited a simple poem (Whether the Weather) I posted last year and realized I need to toughen up and accept that the only thing I can control is my response to the conditions. My morning run yesterday was the first after my perspective change. I ran 9 miles in almost 1.5 hours. It was slow-going on the trails, but I had a great time simply because I decided before the run that I wanted to. Good mental training and there's some life application built in there too!
|What I'm missing and longing for! (photo: Jaime)|
|Reality: Snow run at Deer Creek last weekend.|
4. Bundling Up - I've been thinking a bit about what Lucho has said recently regarding keeping warm. A large part of my motivation issues are due to the early season cold temps & wind. I usually wear just enough to get me through a run without getting too hot or cold. That first mile is always brutal trying to warm up. I'm going to give his suggestions a try by layering more than usual.
5. Bandera Prep - My training started about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm ramping up mileage and trying to get over to the foothills once a week. I started my training for Bandera last year around 11/1 and put in two big months of running before racing on 1/8. In hindsight, I ran way too much in December and really didn't taper much at all. Thus, the earlier start this year. I'd like to get in a double at Deer Creek or Falcon this month and then tackle el Chubbo Grande in December before the taper commences.
6. Numbers Game - I recently crossed the 10,000 mile mark a few weeks ago. I started keeping track of mileage in 2006 when I recorded just over 400 miles that year. I'm about 125 miles from passing my total from last year and only 380 away from cracking 3000 for the year. It's a little goofy to be chasing numbers, but it's just one of many small motivating factors that gets me up early in the morning to head out for a run!
7. Leadville 2012 - It's on! This didn't make the Redemption Tour since I felt like none was needed. But I am looking forward to seeing what I can do here with one under my belt. Now, if I get into Hardrock?? Yikes.